Sunday, 27 July 2014

Birla Mandir

Birla Mandir

Birla Mandir, also known as Lakshmi Narayan Temple is dedicated to Lakshmi ,the Goddess of Wealth.It is an important landmark in Bhopal and is situated at top of the Arera hills on the southern part of Lower Lake and it is the highest point in Bhopal. The main entrance of the temple has a magnificent archway and it gets even better as you enter inside with its green gardens making for a serene atmosphere.The temple consists of several smaller shrines and it houses the idols of Goddess Laxmi and her husband Lord Vishnu or Narayana, along with the magnificent idols of Shiva with his consort Parvati.There is also a museum attached to the temple that houses a rich collection of sculptures.Lakshmi Narayan Temple is open to all the tourists irrespective of gender,caste and creed.The architecture Lakshmi Narayan Temple reflects the epic of old age Indian sculpture.

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

ST THOMAS ORTHODOX CHURCH

ST THOMAS ORTHODOX CHURCH

In the later half of 1950s,the Christian community of Bhopal which included the Orthodox, Catholics and Protestant had united prayer meetings. After sometime members of the Orthodox Church felt the necessity of having a separate identity. Rev. Fr. K.K Punnoose(Now Late Lamented H.G.Dr. Stephanos Mar Theodosius)also visited this parish during his stay at Jabalpur in the year 1952-58.
                                       


The divine inspiration from God and hard work of few Orthodox Christians of Bhopal resulted in the birth of St. Thomas Orthodox Parish at Bhopal under the Catholicate of the East who adorn the Apostolic throne of St.Thomas.
On 24th March 1957 Rev. C.V Abraham visited Bhopal and conducted First Holy Qurbana at the C.I.P.B Railway Church and established the St. Thomas Orthodox Parish in Bhopal the Capital City of Madhya Pradesh.At that time since there was no proper means of transportation church member used to cover long distance to attend the Holy Qurbana.Rev.Fr. Lazarus on 30 December 1962 conducted the First Holy Qurbana. On 19th October 1975, St. Orthodox Syrian Orthodox Church at Ashoka garden was Consecrated by Late Lamented His Grace Stephanos Mar Theodosius Metropolitan. The Main Thronos(Altar)was dedicated in the name of St. Thomas,The Apostle of India.The Northern side Thronos was dedicated in the name of St.Mary and Southern side Thronos was dedicated in the name of St.Gregorios of Parumala.

Now the Church is reconstructed and the Church by the proposed plan.